Monday, December 27, 2010

A sweet surprise for Christmas!




3 great things about today:

1) It is my daughter Nicole's 28th birthday.  It seems like only yesterday when I managed to get through Christmas dinner and clean-up before going to the hospital for the arrival of sweet Nicole.
2) I had brunch with my son Greg and his girlfriend Thaneda. It's going to be as hard as last time to leave behind family when we return to Botswana.
3) I opened up a Christmas gift from my "other parents", Tom & Dorann Fleming & family and found the sweetest gift a mother could ever want. Their daughter, Cymbre, makes "one of a kind" jewelry and she had made a necklace for me which had a locket with photos of Greg & Nicole when they were young.  I must comment on her work because it really is quite incredible.  She takes parts from old pieces of jewelry such as watches, cuff links etc., adds some beads or stones etc. and because she is a very talented artist, she creates something beautiful and sentimental designed specifically for you that can then be worn instead of thrown in the drawer to collect dust. On the front of my locket is a large "H" with a smaller "L" in front and "G" behind.  I'm not sure if Cymbre realized that my Dad's name is Lawrence Gillespie Hills. I'm very surprised that Dorann still had photos of the kids that were more than 25 years old but I must admit that I did cry when I saw the necklace.  Check out Cymbre's work at http://www.nekjewelry.etsy.com/. (sorry Cymbre, I'm so proud of you I just had to put that in!).

I'll try and upload photos of my "3" gifts today. However, I'm over 50 so it doesn't always work the way I want it to since my kids have moved away from home!  And don't worry, we'll be back in Botswana in less than 2 weeks so you will start getting posts that have a little more ministry involvment!

No comments:

Post a Comment